Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery
Living with a physical body that is strongly conflicting with your actual gender identity is more than immensely challenging on both a functional and emotional level. Consequently, a high percentage of transgender females (transwomen) develop gender dysphoria that is frequently accompanied by anxiety, depression, substance abuse, eating disorders, neglect of overall wellness, self-harm and various other issues. Fortunately, transgender surgery and medicine have advanced to such a degree over the years that male to female (MTF) gender affirmation surgery can now be completed more safely, predictably and with far better outcomes than ever before.
Known for his extensive expertise and excellent clinical skills in transgender breast surgery, board-certified plastic surgeon Steven Turkeltaub, MD is a top provider of male-to-female (MTF) transgender breast surgery in Scottsdale and the Phoenix metropolitan area. By customizing treatments to meet the unique needs and goals of each of his patients, he has helped numerous transwomen achieve a more feminine appearing chest as either their sole desired procedure or first in their transformation to living happily and successfully as a female.*
In all cases, Dr. Turkeltaub places a strong emphasis on delivering exceptional care in a completely professional, supportive and judge-free environment.
If you are considering MTF breast surgery, we encourage you to continue reading the information provided on this page, or reach out to us online or by telephone to schedule a consultation.
*Dr. Turkeltaub does not perform genital reconstruction.
- What Is Male-to-Female (MTF) Transgender Breast Surgery?
- Breast Implant Choices for Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery
- Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery Incision Options
- Implant Placement Locations for Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery
- Male-to-Female (MTF) Transgender Breast Surgery Recovery
- Male-to-Female (MTF) Transgender Breast Surgery Patient Testimonials
What Is Male-to-Female (MTF) Transgender Breast Surgery?
Male-to-female (MTF) transgender breast surgery—sometimes referred to as MTF top surgery—is a gender affirming reconstructive procedure designed to transform a genetically male chest into one that is more feminine in appearance. The surgery is nearly the same as that of a “standard” breast augmentation though there are several different and rather important issues that need to be addressed in order to obtain optimal results.
During the MTF top surgery procedure, breast implants are inserted through a preselected incision and placed in a “pocket” created either in front of or behind the pectoralis major muscle. A very gentle, careful, atraumatic technique is employed so as to help you obtain the desired results while also minimizing any postoperative discomfort.
Surgery is performed under general anesthesia which is administered by an anesthesiologist.
Breast Implant Choices for Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery
Dr. Turkeltaub offers you a vast number of breast implant options that can help you obtain the results that you desire. All these will be discussed thoroughly with you during your consultation. These choices involve implant size, fill material (silicone versus saline), silicone gel cohesiveness, and profile (relates to implant width as compared to projection—and can be moderate, high and ultra-high).
To learn more about these options, please visit our Breast Implants section.
Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery Incision Options
As with a standard breast augmentation, those considering male to female breast augmentation surgery theoretically have three different options for incision placement through which the breast implants can be inserted. These are:
- Inframammary – The incision is made in the inframammary fold, the crease along the bottom of the breast. This approach allows for the greatest amount of flexibility, precision, control and visualization during surgery which can lead to superior and more predictable results. It is the most popular choice and the one that Dr. Turkeltaub most often recommends.
- Transaxillary – This incision is located in the armpit and, therefore, hidden as it is not seen on the breast. There are significant limitations and compromises with this approach including when considering larger silicone implants.
- Periareolar – Situated along the margin of the lower half of the areola, this incision often is very inconspicuous. However, it has many restrictions and disadvantages including limitations on its length especially when often dealing with relatively small areolas in the MTF transition population. Consequently, this makes it extremely difficult to impossible to insert silicone implants of any substantial size.
Implant Placement Locations for Male-to-Female (MTF) Breast Surgery
Breast implants for the MTF breast augmentation can be placed either in front of the pectoralis chest wall muscle (pre-pectoral or submammary) or behind it (subpectoral or submammary). There are advantages and disadvantages of each approach so which one would be best for you will be thoroughly discussed at the time of your consultation.
Male-to-Female (MTF) Transgender Breast Surgery Recovery
Following surgery, you will be placed in a soft but snug, contoured circumferential dressing that is removed in a few days. It is then replaced with a form-fitting bra that is worn almost 24 hours a day for one to two weeks. Thereafter, recommendations will be more individualized.
You can expect a mild to moderate amount of swelling, firmness and tightness for at least the first several days after which time these symptoms will then slowly diminish. It can take six months to a year for the swelling to fully abate, the firmness to maximally improve and for you to be able to appreciate the long-term appearance of your breasts.
Working out, heavy lifting, sports and other vigorous activities must be avoided for three to four weeks following surgery. Most patients are able to return back to school and to non-strenuous jobs in about five to seven days.
The impact of your MTF breast augmentation on your appearance can be excitingly positive and transformative and can dramatically improve your happiness, confidence, self-esteem, social interactions and life in general.
Male-to-Female (MTF) Transgender Breast Surgery Patient Testimonials*
*Individual Results May Vary
Schedule Your MTF Transgender Breast Surgery Consultation
For more information about male-to-female (MTF) breast surgery, please do not hesitate to contact our practice today to schedule your consultation. Dr. Turkeltaub will be happy to answer your questions and assist you in any way he can to help you achieve the life-changing transformation you deserve.