Home|Blog | Wondering Whether to Choose a Breast Augmentation Surgery or a Breast Lift?
Wondering Whether to Choose a Breast Augmentation Surgery or a Breast Lift?
4 Minute Read:
Knowing which plastic surgery technique is right for your needs can be confusing. This is especially true with cosmetic breast surgery.
Of course, that is exactly why you would want to consult with a reputable and excellent plastic surgeon board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Breast augmentation surgery and breast lift surgery (mastopexy) are commonly performed and transformative breast procedures with high satisfaction rates.
However, there are some things that could be improved about what these two procedures can and cannot accomplish.
The information below will help clarify this and help you better understand breast augmentation and breast lift surgeries and what may be best for you.
When Should I Choose Breast Augmentation?
Breast augmentation surgery uses breast implants, either silicone or saline, to enlarge the size and volume of the breasts. Though fat injections are another “option,” this approach has several substantial limitations and issues.
Breast enlargement surgery is ideal for women with:
- Naturally small breasts
- Breasts that are smaller in size than desired
- Volume loss in the breasts after pregnancy or weight loss
- Noticeably asymmetrical breasts
- Congenital breast conditions
Breast augmentation is entirely customizable nowadays. Options for you to consider include:
- Implant fill material – silicone versus saline
- Implant size – the volume of the implant, which is stated as cc’s
- The shape of the implant – round versus “anatomic” though, in reality, round is used virtually all the time now
- Profile of the implant – this relates to width to height ratio of the implant – like low, moderate, high and ultra-high profile
- Implant placement – in front of (pre-pectoral or submammary) or behind the chest wall muscle (submuscular or subpectoral)
- Insertion site – inframammary, transaxillary and peri-areolar
During your consultation with Dr. Turkeltaub, these considerations and choices will be discussed with you.
This procedure can be performed on women ages 18 and up. You are almost never too old to have it done. Many women in their 50s and 60s undergo breast augmentation for the first time.
Breast augmentation gives women an improved appearance, greater self-confidence, attractiveness and more.
What Does Breast Augmentation Not Do?
In addition to improving the size and shape of the breasts, breast augmentation surgery can address mild skin laxity and create a subtly lifted appearance. However, sagging breasts are not treated or improved with an augmentation alone. Many women have a misconception about this.
When Should I Choose a Breast Lift?
A breast lift (or mastopexy) raises the breasts to a higher, perkier, more youthful position. With this procedure, breast tissue is repositioned, and excess skin and some breast tissue are surgically removed to recreate more youthful appearing and aesthetically pleasing breasts.
This surgery is ideal for women with sagging breasts for any number of reasons. Some of these include:
- Sagging due to the natural aging process in conjunction with gravity
- Sagging due to breast deflation (after pregnancy or weight loss)
- Sagging due to large, heavy breasts (which is an intrinsic component of breast reduction)
- Sagging due to an implant removal or replacement (commonly performed as a part of a breast revision)
What Does a Breast Lift Not Do?
A breast lift creates a more compact breast that can result in a fuller appearance. However, this surgery not only does not maintain or increase volume but uniformly decreases volume, to some extent, due to tissue removal and tightening.
Should I Combine My Breast Augmentation With a Lift?
Many women who desire larger, shapely and lifted breasts would benefit most from a combination procedure.
Breast augmentation surgery with a breast lift allows you to achieve more comprehensive and dramatic results that address your size and sagging concerns. These procedures can be performed in one surgical setting.
Selecting the right procedure(s) to address your concerns regarding your breasts can provide you with the desired transformation of the appearance of your breasts, which can help you feel far more comfortable with your body.
During your consultation, Dr. Turkeltaub will listen to your aesthetic concerns and goals, evaluate your breasts and provide you with recommendations to help you decide what approach is best for you.
Want to Learn More About Breast Procedures in Phoenix, AZ?
If you are interested in improving the appearance of your breasts with breast augmentation, a breast lift or a combination procedure, schedule your consultation with Dr. Steven Turkeltaub today.
You can book your appointment by calling the Arizona Center for Breast Surgery at (480) 451-3000 or using our online contact form here.