Questions You Should Ask Your Breast Reduction Surgeon
For women considering breast reduction surgery, the consultation process is your best opportunity to acquire a comprehensive understanding of what the procedure entails based on your unique needs and goals. It also provides you the opportunity to determine whether the particular plastic surgeon that you are seeing is the right one for you – personally (is he/she patient, approachable and willing to explain the issues or the opposite?) and technically (are their results, such as pictures, ones that you could be happy with?).
In addition to ensuring that your plastic surgeon is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has extensive experience in breast reduction, some key questions you should ask (if relevant) prior to moving forward with surgery include:
- What can and cannot be accomplished with breast reduction?
- What technique will be utilized during surgery?
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of this technique?
- What will the recovery process be like?
- What type of post-surgical care do you offer/provide?
- Can breast reduction be combined with another procedure?
- Where will the procedure be performed, and is the facility accredited?
- Can I view before-and-after photos of previous patients?
- Are there any former patients I can speak to about their experience?
- If you have insurance: Will my insurance company authorize surgery?
- If you don’t have insurance or breast reduction is an excluded benefit: What are the approximate
- total costs that I can expect for my breast reduction surgery?
Your plastic surgeon should be completely open and honest with you in response to these questions and any other inquiries you may have. Ultimately, trust, clear and honest communication and, of course, the skill of your surgeon are essential for you to be able to maximize the probability that you will achieve an ideal outcome.