Home|Blog | What to Look for in a Cosmetic Breast Surgeon
What to Look for in a Cosmetic Breast Surgeon
4 Minute Read:
Despite changes in culture, tastes and economics, cosmetic breast procedures continue to be very popular. Included in this group of procedures that improve the appearance of the breasts are:
- Breast augmentation
- Mastopexy (breast lift)
- Breast reduction surgery
- Breast revision surgery
- Inverted nipple correction
Whatever the specific procedure you are seeking, you want to achieve desirable results with minimal risks for complications or the need for significant revisions early on.
Top Causes of Unsatisfactory Cosmetic Breast Surgery Results
There are several factors that can lead to suboptimal results. Some of these include:
- Not selecting the right plastic surgeon
- Non-compliance with pre-operative/post-operative instructions and limitations provided by your plastic surgeon
- Not accurately expressing your goals/desires as regards the desired ultimate surgical results
- Medical-related issues
- Random issues
A lot of the time, less-than-ideal cosmetic breast surgery results are the direct consequence of patient non-compliance.
That is — not following instructions!
Some very common examples of this are:
- Smoking or vaping when you should not be
- Taking blood thinners like aspirin or ibuprofen when you should be avoiding them
- Engaging in physical activities that includes lifting heavy items when these activities should not be undertaken
- Applying ice or heat when they should not be employed
- Not following nutritional intake recommendations
However, if the surgical outcome is substantially inferior and it is not just a random occurrence, total compliance with instructions is still not going to improve your results.
Some or even a lot of this can be related to the surgeon you choose. After all, if the surgery was not executed well, everything else is not as relevant or important. Therefore, selecting the right surgeon is paramount
Finding the Right Cosmetic Breast Surgeon for You
Certification by the American Board of Plastic Surgery
As a baseline, you want to select a reputable plastic surgeon — and one who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. There are many doctors who perform cosmetic breast procedures but who are NOT plastic surgeons. They often come across as one but they are not.
They may have “board certification” but not by the only professionally recognized and sanctioned board-certified plastic surgeons: the American Board of Plastic Surgery.
Beware of imitators!
It is also important to realize, however, that board certification alone does not guarantee a result.
Experience and Results
You also want to make sure that the plastic surgeon has many years of experience and provides generally good results.
Just operating for years with mediocre outcomes is probably not what you are looking for.
How can you find this out?
There are a few ways though nothing is foolproof.
Recommendations from friends, your primary care doctor and previous patients can be helpful. So can photos on their website. Just realize that these are likely their best results so if you don’t like what you see — move on.
Finally, online reviews can be helpful but there can be manipulation, both positive and negative. Some practices will game the system so that you may not necessarily get a good and honest perspective of outcomes and satisfaction. By the same token, there can be unwarranted 1-star reviews that have nothing to do with reality.
Rapport and Gut Feelings
After you do all the other research, you must make sure that you feel comfortable with the plastic surgeon and his/her staff. The following are just a few things to consider in making your decision:
- Has the doctor spent an appropriate amount of time with you and made sure that you fully understand the procedure(s) being considered?
- Do you feel very comfortable with and confident in the doctor? His/her staff?
- Did a nurse or other office staff conduct either your initial consultation or the whole consultation?
- Do you feel uncomfortable or dissatisfied with the recommendations?
- Do you feel that you are being sold something rather than having recommendations made that are in your best interest?
- Do you feel like you are being treated with concern and importance or as if you are just another number?
Finally, if for whatever reason, you feel uncomfortable or have doubts, listen to your instincts. They are often correct.
Your Scottsdale and Phoenix Cosmetic Breast Surgery Specialist
Dr. Steven Turkeltaub, board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, is a highly skilled and experienced breast specialist in Scottsdale, Arizona. He has been practicing in the Valley for nearly 35 years. He is more than 110% committed to delivering excellent results for his patients and employs a knowledgeable, caring and helpful staff.
If you are interested in learning more about cosmetic breast surgery or would like to schedule your consultation with Dr. Turkeltaub, please call our office at (480) 451-3000 or contact us by email.